Until the invention of the time machine, or the discovery of the fountain of youth, we will all have to accept the fact that our skin is constantly maturing. Time marches on, but there is a lot you can do with skin care and makeup choices to help you look as good as you ever did. The way to do this is with color and care, and by forgetting what used to work for you at 18 or even 28. Learn what will work for you now.
I have noticed that as skin matures make up can either be your best friend
Or your worst enemy
Make up can not be used to mask your aging skin, and trendy bright colors will only draw attention to your fine lines and wrinkles. But all make up is not your enemy. It can be a powerful tool in helping you look young, and feel beautiful.
Here are some tips from make up guru Bobbi Brown's book entitled Beauty Evolution, along with my two cents worth of advise and recommendations, of course.
Essentials for beauty regimen after 40:
1. SPF Lotion- It's never too late to prevent additional sun damage. My personal preference as of late is Avene High Protection 50.
2. Eye cream- It's a must to make your concealer go on smoothly. Again, I like Avene and it's very reasonably priced.
3. Concealer and/or Corrector- It wakes up tired eyes. I use both from Bobbi Brown.
4. Foundation- It can cover redness and even out skin tone. This tinted moisturizer from Bobbi Brown is my best kept secret for younger looking skin. It is super hydrating, and has an SPF of 35, so you can skip step number 1 if you use it.
5. Blush- Your skin may no longer have a natural glow, so add it back. I like the beautiful choices of blush from GloMinerals.
6. Eye shadows- Light shades with a nice contour and highlight color look beautiful. I love the eye trio's from GloMinerals because you don't have to guess which colors to use... it's sort of like paint by number.
7. Eye liner and mascara- It can add definition to your eyes. Bobbi Brown makes a wonderful gel eyeliner, but my favorite mascara is probably the cheapest one available from Maybelline.
8. Hair color- It can brighten your face whether you add just a few highlights or do all over color to cover the gray. I've tried several different colors and colorists, but I am always happiest with a Redken Color Specialist. If you need a new stylist, you can look up a Redken Color Specialist from the Redken website.